something different

by

     Being eighteen and going to college in a couple of months really makes you think about life and your future. I ask myself everyday who is it that I want to become? What do I want to experience? There are too many answers to these questions that I barely know where to start. But there are a few things that stick out among the others. I want to travel. I want to travel the world and learn about everything I possibly can. I want to see all the different cultures that make up the 7 billion people living on this planet. I want to see the eight wonders of the world and walk through Borobudor. I want to meet intelligent amazing people that I could listen to for hours just telling me their ideas and experiences. I want to end up being one of those people. I want to learn to surf and get tan and have my hair go blonde from all the time in the sun. I want to experience life in the most positive way possible. I want to be happy.
     I'm sure people would say that this isn't all possible. People would say that theres too much negative to run into along the way. People would ask where I plan on getting the money to do all this traveling. To be honest, I have no idea. I don't want a high paying job that I don't care for. I just want to live a happy life. If that means being an activist and living day to day, thats fine as long as I'm happy.
     There is this kid that I've gone to school with my whole life. He's evolved into this "hippie" kid with these great thoughts about life and the world. He's maintained this sort of reputation for being a deep thinker. For the past month or two I looked up to him. I admired him for all of his great outlooks and thoughts about politics, language, and life decisions. But tonight I realized I don't agree with him at all. He finds life to be a series of actions and reactions. That the only reasons for living are fear and love. I don't agree. Don't get me wrong, his thoughts are great and very interesting. They make me think about everything (you can read them here). But I've realized that his outlook is too negative for me. I think life is about experience. It is about exploring and learning.
     Basically what I'm trying to say is that this year I have learned a lot about myself and what I want. I'm not sure how I am going to get it but that is part of the thrill. "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey". I just wanted to put this out there so maybe, just maybe, I can make you guys think just like my friend did. Have an optimistic day. Until my next post, Elyse.